"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."
St Mary’s Outreach seeks to serve Christ with our time, our talent and our treasure. We address the problems of hunger, homelessness, poverty, sickness, and inequality of educational opportunity; and respond to natural disasters, locally, nationally and internationally.
Anyone who wishes to serve on the outreach committee is welcome. Currently active members are: Sue Heywood (Chair and our rep on the Helping Hands Board), Nan Bewlay, Janet Galuska, Jane Garofano, Jim Hays, Lili Neuhauser, Elizabeth Ochieng, Dana Roccassecca (our rep on the Sloatsburg Food Pantry Board), Paula Sink, Pat Sohn, Sally Sonne, Sandy Taylor, and Prudence & George Thurston (our reps on the Episcobuild Board).
Please see more information below about the people we help and how to get involved. No matter your faith (including those who profess no faith in particular), you are most welcome to join us and do good in the world!
Helping Local Families
We directly help Tuxedo and Sloatsburg families in need or crisis with:
- Financial support for preschool tuition and academic advancement
- Food support, including Thanksgiving baskets, for 30+ families
- Angel Tree gifts at Christmas
- Financial support for summer camp
Helping Our Region
We are actively involved with numerous organizations in our region:
- Sloatsburg Food Pantry
- EpiscoBuild/Habitat for Humanity of Greater Newburgh
- Helping Hands of Rockland County (for the homeless)
- Suffern Soup Kitchen
- English as a Second Language at Sloatsburg Library
- Episcopal Charities of the Diocese of New York
Helping Our World
We support various organizations throughout the world:
- Episcopal Relief & Development (disaster relief)
- Carryou Ministry (Christian NGO working in South Africa to alleviate poverty and disease)
- We provide regular food parcels to 36 families
- Funded college scholarships and stipends for students whose families can offer no financial support for food, transport or books
- Provided laptops for students who have proven their determination to succeed by their grades and aspirations
How We Help
Funding for our outreach programs is derived from our Cutting Endowment Fund for Outreach, directed contributions from our parishioners and the greater community, grants St. Mary’s secures on behalf of specific programs as well as fundraising initiatives undertaken by the committee and parishioners, such as our semi-annual yard sale. Specific appeals occur seasonally, on Outreach Sundays or whenever a crisis arises. We disbursed more than $91,000 in funds in 2017 to help those in need. Please contact Sue Heywood, chairperson of the committee, for more information.